Bicycle Racing Team
Start Date: 2011-01-01
End Date: 2011-12-31
Status: CONTINUED [2012-0001]
Develop a small competitive locally based racing team with a focus on community service and good sportsmanship which engages with locally owned business to help foster the connection between cycling and the community. Participate in community service projects through out the year and work to encourage the riding of bikes as both a pastime and lifestyle choice.
The team began with 9-10 initial members in the Spring and grew to 16 members, 4 junior racers, and an Exercise Physiologist, all based in Austin, TX.
Community service participation ranged from bi-monthly clean-ups of the Lance Armstrong Bikeway 4th Street Underpass, a high level of participation during Bike Month including but not limited to hosting multiple Bike-2-Work Day stations, delivering materials by bike to nearly 30% of the City wide Bike-2-Work day stations, co-riding with students on Bike-2-School Day, providing volunteers for a co-hosted a Pizza Party and Bike Fix-A-Thon with Martin Middle School, and assisting with after school bike programs at multiple AISD middle schools.
While racing extensively in Texas there was a strong focus on the Central Texas region in particular which resulted in some phenomenal results. 280 recorded individual finishes with 28 individual 1sts, 24 2nds, and 21 3rds. We had 2 TEAM 1st place finishes, 1 2nd place, and 2 3rds in team competitions.
A small sampling:
- 1st in the CAT2 State Criterium Championships
- 1st in the CAT2 State Time Trial Championships
- 1st in the CAT2 State Team Time Trial Championships (composite team)
- 1st, 2nd, 9th, and 11th in the Amateur Men’s Central Texas Regional Cup Individual Competition
- 1st in the Amateur Men’s Central Texas Regional Cup Team Competition
- 1st in the Novice Men’s Central Texas Regional Cup Individual Competition
- 1st and 2nd in the Belterra (Dripping Springs) CAT3 Circuit Race
- 1st in the Coldspring Road Race CAT3
- 2nd in the Ronde von Manor road race CAT3
- 3rd in the Belterra (Dripping Springs) CAT4 Circuit Race
- 3rd in the Come and Take It criterium CAT3
- 3rd in the Pace Bend Road Race CAT3
- 3rd in the Independence Weekend Circuit Race (San Antonio) CAT3
- 4th and 6th in the Ronde von Manda road race CAT3
- numerous 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place finishes in the Driveway Series (Austin) and University Oaks (San Antonio) criteriums
- and even more top 10 finishes
Full results are available here: 2011 Results